Re: Major features for 9.1

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Major features for 9.1
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 01:18:35PM -0500, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > I assume you mean by "innovation" that these are things where
> > PostgreSQL
> > was the first DBMS to implement them. The risk with that is, unless
> > you
> > do very careful research, someone might debunk each of these within 24
> > hours after the release, making the whole thing look foolish.
>
> Well, we can hedge a bit.  But, better, can someone (preferably several someones) on this list volunteer to do
research? Anyone?

> > Moreover, the fact that something might have been innovated doesn't
> > explain how it helps the user.
>
> Truthfully, for a press release, it doesn't matter.  Many reporters/bloggers will happily quote that we're the first
databasewith SSI without having a clue what it means.  In general, most reporters who cover databases don't really know
know(or care) much about databases regardless (or "NoSQL" wouldn't have the press it does).

> >From a PR perspective, the important thing to get across is that the PostgreSQL project is innovating, implementing
newdatabase tech before anyone else.  This is critically important during a period where SQL-RDBMSes are being
portrayedas "old grandfathers" in a press more enchanted with "the new hotness" of recently invented DBMSes.

> Now, for our users and for serious database geeks, we *do* need an elevator-pitch explanation of several features
whichtells them why they should care.  Several features in particular are not immediately obvious:

> * SSI
> * wCTE
> * KNN-GiST
> * SE-Postgres
> * Transaction-controlled Synch Rep
>
> I would like to have volunteers from the advocacy list commit to taking on one of each of these features.  For each
onewe need:

> a) a two-line explanation of what the feature is and why it's valuable (for the release notes, etc.)
> b) a wiki page with a more detailed explaination and examples oriented towards the beginning-to-intermediate
PostgreSQLuser.

I'll take a whack at wCTE :)

Cheers,
David.