Re: Should psql support URI syntax?

От Adrian von Bidder
Тема Re: Should psql support URI syntax?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Wednesday 06 April 2011 20.31:38 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> postgres:ssl://localhost:5432/template1/?username=jd&password=foobar&ssl=
> true
>
> But I don't know if we want to go there.

I would expect that *if* an URI syntax becomes implemented, it should
support all possible options.

Especially things like ssl but also connecting via Unix socket instead of
TCP should be covered. Else applications would need to offer one way to
specify the "usual" connection and another way to offer configuration with
"special requirements" such as connection to unix socket or via ssl. (...
which would probably not be supported by many applications, since "everybody
connects to localhost:5432 anyway..."

-- vbi

--
FORTUNE REMEMBERS THE GREAT MOTHERS: #6
"Johnny, if you fall and break your leg, don't come running to me!"    -- Mrs. Emily Barstow, June 16, 1954