Re: JDBC gripe list

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: JDBC gripe list
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Στις Thursday 31 March 2011 10:42:50 ο/η Thomas Kellerer έγραψε:
> Achilleas Mantzios, 31.03.2011 09:29:
> > Currently most people define an app server (usually super) user to access the database,
> > and the connections in the pool are created with this db user connecting to the db.
> > Numerous times I encountered situations where I would like to link entries
> > from the web/app server access log (where app server usernames are logged)
> > with entries from the postgresql log, where only the app server db user is logged.
> > In order to to this corelation, or even worse to *prove* that app server user (lets call him Uapp)
> > caused or did not cause this erroneous/malicious DB statement, one has to grep for SQL stmts
> > through the source, then idntify some apps as candidated for having been run,
> > and then try to find from the web/app server access logs who those people are.
> > This does not work nice and is not accurate.
> >
> If you are on 9.0 and have control over the connection initialization in the pool, then using 9.0's
"application_name"might be a solution to this.

> If you can configure the pool to run
>
> SET application_name = 'app_user_name'
>
> when a connection is taken out of the pool, then this name can be part of the log message in the PostgreSQL logfile.

Yes, sure, thanx for sharing this. One could indeed do this by hacking/subclassing the relevant pool classes
in the app server. But that would still be a work around.
I dont know why SET application ='' is reflected in the log files, but SET ROLE is not.
Is it intentional ? Anyways this question should be targeted to the backend guys rather than here.

> I don't think the standard pools that are available in Java (C3P0 or DBCP) can use a "dynamic" statement like this
(asit requires injecting a value that changes during time), but maybe there is a way...

--
Achilleas Mantzios