Re: Problem with pg_upgrade?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Problem with pg_upgrade?
Дата
Re: Problem with pg_upgrade?  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: Problem with pg_upgrade?  (Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Jeff Davis's message of mar mar 29 21:27:34 -0300 2011:
> > On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 15:52 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to make sure autovacuum
> > > does not run in freeze mode?
> >
> > Can you run in single user mode?
>
> I asked the same thing.  Apparently the problem is that it would make
> error handling a lot more difficult.  I think it would be better to have
> some sort of option to disable autovacuum completely which would be used
> only during pg_upgrade.

Yes, also consider that pg_dumpall assumes psql with its use of
\connect, and I would have to start/stop the single-user backend for
every database change, plus I use psql with ON_ERROR_STOP=on.

I think we have three options:
o  find if the use of autovacuum_freeze_max_age is safe, or make   it safeo  document that autovacuum_naptime always
happensbefore   autovacuum does anything and set it higho  modify autovacuum to be an enum, with values
on/off/disabled

I think the last one makes more sense, and is safer if we need to
backpatch this.  Creating a new variable for this would be confusing
because it could conflict with the 'autovacuum' setting.

Also, I am unclear if this is really our bug.  At least one of the
systems was on Ubuntu/Debian, and they might both have been, and I know
Debian changes our source code.  Where can I find a copy of the diffs
they have made?

I am hearing only second-hand reports of this problem through
Rhodiumtoad on IRC.  I don't have IRC access this week so if someone can
get details from him that would help.  I think the fix he found was to
pull the clog files off of an old file system backup.

http://enterprisedb.com