Re: Improve initdb and pg_controldata manual pages

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Improve initdb and pg_controldata manual pages
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I have applied the attached patch to improve the initdb and
> > pg_controldata manual pages.  Patch from gabrielle <gorthx@gmail.com>.
>
> This seems like the most bizarre choice you could have made.
> It now looks like the preferred spelling of initdb's switch,
> for instance, is
>
>     initdb --pgdata= /path/name
>
> ie, *both* an equal sign and a space.  Please rethink this.

Well, it actually looks like this:

    initdb [option...] --pgdata= | -D directory

and this gets back to whether we are going to show '=' for long
switches, which I am waiting on a reply about.  If we are, we probably
have to accept the above output --- if not, it will be removed along
with other cases.  I have now removed the '=' from initdb, but it is an
open issue.

Also, keep in mind that the --help output often shows '=', e.g. from
pg_dump:

  -E, --encoding=ENCODING     dump the data in encoding ENCODING
  -n, --schema=SCHEMA         dump the named schema(s) only
  -N, --exclude-schema=SCHEMA do NOT dump the named schema(s)

Сообщение: Re: Improve initdb and pg_controldata manual pages
Сообщение: Re: Improve initdb and pg_controldata manual pages