Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > >
> > > I've never heard anyone argue that position, don't believe anyone would,
> > > and certainly don't agree with it.
> >
> > Yeah I am not sure I can buy Tom's argument here. The GPL is fairly
> > clear and is compatible with the BSD/Postgres license.
>
> Compatible if you want the result to be GPL, yes.  I hardly see that as
> desirable.  I am unclear what is being said above.

The comment regarding compliance, to me anyway, came across as meaning
that community PG wouldn't be compliant with the GPL if it linked with
libreadline and not with OpenSSL.  Perhaps I misunderstood.

If the concern is that EDB's (or anyone else's) modified PG is linked
and distributed with libreadline, then yes, there is room to be
concerned about the GPL and I'd recommend they not do that.  Of course,
I'd also recommend they not link with OpenSSL either, given the
advertising clause in that license.  Thankfully, there's a clear option
for dealing with libreadline- distribute libedit and let users
LD_PRELOAD (or maybe distribute a community/OSS psql, if it's
unmodified..).  There isn't an option for dealing with the OpenSSL
problem currently. :(
Thanks
    Stephen