Displaying text appears as hex data

Hello list,

I'm trying to view text data stored by OpenSIPS 1.6.4 (the latest)
as BLOB and PostgreSQL is displaying it in hex format like so:

$ TERM=vt100 /pfx/bin/psql opensips opensips
psql (9.0.2)
Type "help" for help.

opensips=> select * from sip_trace;
 id | time_stamp | callid | traced_user | msg | method | ...
 1234 | 2011-02-03 | ... | | \x494e56495445207369703a...

Others have said that when they use MySQL, the exact SQL command
as above results in ASCII text rather than hexadecimal, and this
is my goal as well.

How can I accomplish this in the easiest way?

Is there something in the PostgreSQL source tree
that I should change, for example hacking in:

    src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs

Thanks alot,
Michael