Re: Link to zip/tar binaries web page

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Link to zip/tar binaries web page
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 18:15, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > I have just learned that EnterpriseDB provides both platform-specific
> > binaries and platform-specific zip/tar files, which are hosted here:
> >
> > ? ? ? ?http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgbindownload
> >
> > We link to that page from our Windows download page:
> >
> > ? ? ? ?http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows
> >
> > ? ? ? ?Advanced users can also download a zip archive of the binaries,
> > ? ? ? ?without the installer.
> >
> > but not from any of the other platform web page, like Linux:
> >
> > ? ? ? ?http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux
> >
> > That seems inconsistent, and I had to help someone yesterday who was
> > looking for the Linux tar file.
> >
> > Should we make a change to have these be more consistent?
>
> I guess we could. Did you run across this by accident, or did somebody
> actually ask you? I havent' heard a single person *ever* ask for
> binaries-no-installer for Linux - given that you already have the
> choice of a proper platform package, or a gui installer, or source
> (which is much easier to work with on Linux than on Windows, making it
> a much more reasonable option)
>
> There are already painfully many options on that download page...

Selena got a problem report about downloading that was forwarded to core
and I discussed it with the user, so it was an actual case.  I didn't
even know of the zip files myself so it took a little research.  The
user had 200 servers to install, and I guess wanted the EDB binaries;  I
did not ask why.

http://enterprisedb.com

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Github commit messages to pgsql-www
Сообщение: Re: Github commit messages to pgsql-www