Re: database slowdown

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: database slowdown
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> Hi Andy,
>
> No, I don't shrink the database. I simply purge the whole thing and
> then let it populate again. The data isn't too critical.

What does "purge" mean?  Are you doing an SQL DELETE, or a TRUNCATE,
or dropping the DB and recreating?

Each of these functions differently behind the scenes, in particular
DELETE will not actually free up the space used by the records you
deleted right away, and depending on many other factors, may be the
cause of your problems.