Re: Problems With -9.0.1

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Problems With -9.0.1
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Monday 20 December 2010 7:12:52 pm Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> > As I remember it there was more than one version of Postgres on this
> > machine. Are you sure you are using the correct postgres binary? While I
> > am it is there a reason you are not using the system start scripts or
> > pg_ctl:)?
>
> Adrian,
>
>    There _was_ a library not removed when I removed -8.3.3, but that's been
> gone a while. This had been running until yesterday when I could not log in
> to my accounting software that uses postgres as the back end.
>
>    The reason I don't use /etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql is that it doesn't work.
> While it supposedly su's to user postgres, it actually does not do so.
> Ergo, nothing starts.

Well that would be a problem. Still, using pg_ctl would be an improvement. From
the docs (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/app-pg-ctl.html):
"pg_ctl is a utility for initializing a PostgreSQL database cluster, starting,
stopping, or restarting the PostgreSQL backend server (postgres), or displaying
the status of a running server. Although the server can be started manually,
pg_ctl encapsulates tasks such as redirecting log output and properly detaching
from the terminal and process group. It also provides convenient options for
controlled shutdown."

>    Looking for running postgres processes I find none:
>
> [root@salmo ~]# ps ax | grep postgres
> 17168 pts/2    S+     0:00 grep postgres

The issue is not so much another running postgres but more than one in your PATH
and you picking up the wrong one. A locate or find would help here.

Also per Johns post you should run:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config

That may help untangle this.

--