Re: profiling pgbench

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: profiling pgbench
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 24 November 2010 23:34:46 Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> AllocSetAlloc is the third, battling with hash_search_with_hash value.
> >> To complete that sentence...
> >
> > I've played a bit with hash_search_with_hash_value and found that most
> > of the time is spent on shared hash tables, not private ones.  And the
> > time attributed to it for the shared hash tables mostly seems to be
> > due to the time it takes to fight cache lines away from other CPUs.  I
> > suspect the same thing is true of LWLockAcquire.
>
> How do you get stats on that?
Btw, if you have some recent kernel I would try to use perf - I find the event
mappings easier to understand there, but maybe thats just me jumping onto
bandwagons.

> How big is a typical cache line on modern CPUs?
for the line size
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cache/index*/coherency_line_size

for the overall size
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cache/index*/size

Andres

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: profiling pgbench
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: profiling connection overhead