Re: profiling connection overhead

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: profiling connection overhead
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 24 November 2010 22:18:08 Robert Haas wrote:

> >> Aren't we incurring those page faults anyway, for whatever memory
> >> palloc is handing out?  The heap is no different from bss; we just
> >> move the pointer with sbrk().
> >
> > Yes, but only once. Also scrubbing a page is faster than copying it...
> > (and there were patches floating around to do that in advance, not sure
> > if they got integrated into mainline linux)
> I'm not following - can you elaborate?
When forking the memory mapping of the process is copied - the actual pages
are not. When a page is first accessed the page fault handler will setup a
mapping to the "old" page and mark it as shared. When now written to it will
fault again and copy the page.

In contrast if you access a page the first time after an sbrk (or mmap, doesn't
matter) a new page will get scrubbed and and a mapping will get setup.

Andres

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: profiling connection overhead
От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: profiling connection overhead