Help with date query

От richard terry
Тема Help with date query
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi list,

I have a huge table of documents with many many thousands of rows (currently
only 18000 , and will as it grows to many many times that over time.

I need some way to select out the documents from a fixed time period, the last
(n) months:

I've tried this in pgAdmin:

Select (the-fields-I-want)
from documents.vwDocuments where deleted = False
AND date_created  between '01/11/2010' AND  Now()
order by date_created DESC LIMIT 10;

Date_created is an un-indexed field  (can one index date fields?)

This unbeleivable slow, some 25 seconds over the 18000 records.

Displaying the records where document records where they belong to an
individual person is really quick within my program (gambas).

Any ways of re-phrasing this better, optimizing?

Any help appreciated.

richard