Re: Re: Storing old and new tuple values after an UPDATE, INSERT or DELETE

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Re: Storing old and new tuple values after an UPDATE, INSERT or DELETE
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 07:37:09AM -0800, rmd22 wrote:
> Yes I have tried it with triggers but I have to do it without using
> triggers.  Since in my workplace someone has already done that and
> for some reason (may be because triggers are expensive i
> suppose...not sure though), hence they want me to do it by modifying
> the source code.

Don't go there.  Instead, do this:

1.  Get a stated reason, other than "I said so," for not using
triggers.  My top bet is that they'll claim a performance issue.

2.  Decide on criteria for evaluating the claim, whatever it is.  Make
sure that the criteria are not insane.  Insane criteria look like, "We
can't take so much as a 0.001% performance hit anywhere in the system,
no matter what it gets us in return."

3.  Test the claim.

At the end of this, you'll either have tablelog on its way to
production, or a solid evidence that you need to find another gig.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!