Re: contrib: auth_delay module

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: contrib: auth_delay module
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 09:41:37PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 8:15 PM, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com> wrote:
> > If we don't need a PoC module for each new hooks, I'm not strongly
> > motivated to push it into contrib tree.
> > How about your opinion?
>
> I'd say let it go, unless someone else feels strongly about it.

I would use this module (rate limit new connection attempts) as soon as
I could. Putting a cap on potential CPU usage on a production DB by either
a blackhat or mistake by a developer caused by a mistake in
configuration (leaving the port accessible) is definitely useful, even
in the face of max_connections. My production apps already have
their connections and seldom need new ones. They all use CPU though.

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166