Re: plperl arginfo

От Garick Hamlin
Тема Re: plperl arginfo
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 01:03:24PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 10/28/2010 12:34 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > BTW, maybe we could have the best of both worlds?  Dunno about Perl,
> > but in some languages it would be possible to instantiate the hash
> > only if it's actually touched.  Passing the data as a hash definitely
> > seems to fit with the spirit of things otherwise, so as long as it
> > didn't cost cycles when not needed, I'd be in favor of that API.
>
> Maybe, but I think that's getting rather beyond my perlguts-fu. I think
> we'd need to do that via PERL_MAGIC_tied, but it's new territory for me.
> Anyone else want to chime in?

Warning, I don't know the plperl, I am just a perl coder.

I do think all the anonymous array are worth worrying about in terms of
performance.

I don't think that tie is necessarily good for performance.  tie() is not
generally fast.  I think you'd likely be better off writing plain accessors
or using a function to add type info.

Use an accessor for type information, like this?
$ref->typeof($key)

or perhaps use a special function?

add_type_info(\%args);

or if you want attibute based syntax sugar for the add_type_info() solution...

my %args : pg_record(add_type_info);

Again, these I don't know the plperl code, so I might be missing something
here.

Garick