Re: Multiple table scans to analyze multiple indexes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Multiple table scans to analyze multiple indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thom Brown wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I might not be understanding this correctly, but does Postgres, when
> VACUUM ANALYZE-ing a table, perform separate scans for each index?
> And if so, is this necessary?  Can't it update indexes parallel?  This
> would be particularly useful when rebuilding all indexes on a table.

Uh, I am unsure of the question.  ANALYZE randomly samples the heap,
plus generates analyze statistics for each expression index.

As far as VACUUM, that scans the heap and then scans the indexes based on
the free space is finds;  see vacuumlazy.c:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/commands/vacuumlazy.c;h=0ac993f957d6e49c23448dd85f8ed41308dc9c60;hb=HEAD

Are you asking why normal delete doesn't update the index?

This is probably a question for the hackers list.