Re: postgre on virtual machine

От Joshua J. Kugler
Тема Re: postgre on virtual machine
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 20 October 2010, John R Pierce elucidated thus:
> On 10/20/10 3:46 AM, Georgi Ivanov wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Is there any specific reason one should/should not run postgre on
> > virtual machine for production ?
> > Is there any special tuning for virtual environment ?
> > Client of mine is running 8.4 on  virtual machine (VMWare ) so I'm
> > wandering if there is anything special I can tune to speed up a
> > bit. Also if I must choose between more RAM and more virtual cores
> > what should I choose ?
>
> the biggest issue tends to be disk IO performance, especially in a
> transactional intensive database.  virtualized storage is just not as
> fast as native storage.   the big iron folks deal with this by
> dedicating fiberchannel cards to each virtual machine that needs IO
> performance.  of course, this gets expensive.
>
> as far as memory vs cores goes, that depends a lot on the nature of
> your access patterns.   larger databases benefit from more memory for
> caching & buffers, while higher levels of concurrent connections
> benefit from more CPU cores (*and* more memory).

Would using a raw partition in the VM alleviate some of the issues here?

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: 9.0 SSL renegotiation failure restoring data