Re: Strange phenomenon

От Joshua J. Kugler
Тема Re: Strange phenomenon
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 15 October 2010, Scott Marlowe elucidated thus:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > I'd look around for a cron job or some other periodic task that
> > thinks it's supposed to reload the database or something like that.
> >  Postgres doesn't forget stuff that easily ... unless it's told to.
>
> Had a search engine eat an entire database one night by clicking on
> the all the "delete" links.

And that was the night you learned about this part of RFC 2616 (HTTP
1.1), right? :)

"In particular, the convention has been established that the GET and
HEAD methods SHOULD NOT have the significance of taking an action other
than retrieval...Methods can also have the property of "idempotence" in
that (aside from error or expiration issues) the side-effects of N > 0
identical requests is the same as for a single request. The methods
GET, HEAD, PUT and DELETE share this property."

:)

--
Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer