Re: Multi-branch committing in git, revisited

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Multi-branch committing in git, revisited
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Okay, so now that I've actually done a couple of multi-branch commits...
>
> I'm using the multiple-work-directory arrangement suggested on our wiki
> page.  The work flow seems to boil down to:
>
> * Prepare patch in master
> * Stage patch with git add
> * git diff --staged >/tmp/patch-head
> * cd into REL9_0_STABLE workdir
> * patch -p0 </tmp/patch-head
> * Adjust patch if needed
> * Stage patch with git add
> * git diff --staged >/tmp/patch-90
> * cd into REL8_4_STABLE workdir
> * patch -p0 </tmp/patch-90
> * ... lather, rinse, repeat ...
> * cd back to master
> * git commit -F /tmp/commitmsg
> * cd into REL9_0_STABLE workdir
> * git commit -F /tmp/commitmsg
> * cd into REL8_4_STABLE workdir
> * git commit -F /tmp/commitmsg
> * ... lather, rinse, repeat ...
> * git push

Uh, just to be clear, the above is more complex than necessary because
git diff will show all uncommitted modifications.  You could just do:
> * Prepare patch in master> * git diff >/tmp/patch-head> * cd into REL9_0_STABLE workdir> * patch -p0
</tmp/patch-head>* Adjust patch if needed...

There is no need for 'git add' because once you are done you can use git
commmit -a in each branch to add all modifications and commit them.  I
think this exactly matches how we did thing with CVS.  A final 'git
push' sends them to the remote repository.  This causes commits to all
happen around the same time.

I am not saying that is the way we should to it, but it is clearly
possible.

http://enterprisedb.com

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Multi-branch committing in git, revisited
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Per-column collation, work in progress