Re: versioned pl/pgsql functions

От Joshua J. Kugler
Тема Re: versioned pl/pgsql functions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tuesday 21 September 2010, Dmitriy Igrishin elucidated thus:
> Hey all,
>
> After ten years with stored procedures I am thinking so this is not
>
> > too well technique. Much better is writing stored procedures to a
> > file and using usual tools for file's versioning. We did some tools
> > for storing a versions inside database, but still we prefer a
> > standard developer tools - vi or emacs like editor and plain text.
> > The main problem of procedures maintained inside database is loss
> > of outer formatting and outer comments. And you cannot to group
> > procedures to modules. On the other hand - some history can be
> > useful for all database objects - not only for stored procedures.
>
> Agree with Pavel.

At the danger of sounding like a "me too:"

Agree with Pavel.

Keep version control in version control. Make creation/replacement of
stored procedures part of your deployment system.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A