Re: Configuring synchronous replication

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: Configuring synchronous replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> [100917 07:44]:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > The only thing standby registration allows you to do is know whether
> > there was supposed to be a standby there, but yet it isn't there now. I
> > don't see that point as being important because it seems strange to me
> > to want to wait for a standby that ought to be there, but isn't anymore.
> > What happens if it never comes back? Manual intervention required.
> > The absence of registration in my patch makes some things easier and
> > some things harder. For example, you can add a new standby without
> > editing the config on the master.
>
> That's actually one of the reasons why I like the idea of
> registration.  It seems rather scary to add a new standby without
> editing the config on the master.  Actually, adding a new fully-async
> slave without touching the master seems reasonable, but adding a new
> sync slave without touching the master gives me the willies.  The
> behavior of the system could change quite sharply when you do this,
> and it might not be obvious what has happened.  (Imagine DBA #1 makes
> the change and DBA #2 is then trying to figure out what's happened -
> he checks the configs of all the machines he knows about and finds
> them all unchanged... head-scratching ensues.)

So, those both give me the willies too...

I've had a rack loose all power.  Now, let's say I've got two servers
(plus trays of disks for each) in the same rack.  Ya, I know, I should
move them to separate racks, preferably in separate buildings on the
same campus, but realistically...

I want to have them configured in a fsync WAL/style sync rep, I want to
make sure that if the master comes up first after I get power back, it's
not going to be claiming transactions are committed while the slave
(which happens to have 4x the disks because it keeps PITR backups for a
period too) it still chugging away on SCSI probes yet, not gotten to
having PostgreSQL up yet...

And I want to make sure the dev box that was testing another slave setup
on, which is running in some test area by some other DBA, but not in the
same rack, *can't* through some mis-configuration make my master think
that it's production slave has properly fsync'ed the replicated WAL.

</hopes & dreams>

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,

Сообщение: Re: Configuring synchronous replication
Сообщение: Re: Configuring synchronous replication