Re: Table Comments

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: Table Comments
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> I saw in the documentation for PostgreSQL that I can add 'comments' to
> table entries when creating columns:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/tutorial-table.html
>
> CREATE TABLE weather (
>     city            varchar(80),
>     temp_lo         int,           -- low temperature
>     temp_hi         int,           -- high temperature
>     prcp            real,          -- precipitation
>     date            date
> );
>
> I did a search and don't understand in what aspect are the 'comments'
> relevant / visible? I don't see the comments when I attempt to list /
> describe the table with \d weather;

You're confusing table comments with SQL comments.

SQL comments (which you show above) comment the SQL and are lost if
the SQL code is not preserved.  i.e., they do not affect what the
SQL does, thus they are not stored anywhere in the database.  They're
a great help for documenting queries in you application code, though.

To add comments to a table (which it seems that you want) use the
COMMENT ON command to add them:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/sql-comment.html

--
Bill Moran