Re: Streaming a base backup from master

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Streaming a base backup from master
Дата
Re: Streaming a base backup from master  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> The rsync code itself is not modular, I believe.  I think the author
> thereof kind of took the approach of placing efficiency before all.

Yeah, I looked into this when discussing this same concept at PGCon with
folks.  There doesn't appear to be a good librsync and, even if there
was, there's a heck of alot of complexity there that we *don't* need.
rsync is a great tool, don't get me wrong, but let's not try to go over
our heads here.

We don't need permissions handling, as an example.  I also don't think
we need the binary diff/partial file transfer capability- we already
break relations into 1G chunks (when/if they reach that size), so you
won't necessairly be copying the entire relation if you're just doing
mtime based or per-file-checksum based detection.  We don't need device
node handling, we don't need auto-ignoring files, or pattern
exclusion/inclusion, we don't really need a progress bar (though it'd be
nice.. :), etc, etc, etc.
Thanks,
    Stephen