Re: Warm Standby Weirdness

От Yaroslav Tykhiy
Тема Re: Warm Standby Weirdness
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:22:15PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Sam Nelson <samn@consistentstate.com> writes:
> > Here's the output from pg_controldata:
>
> > $ pg_controldata `pwd`
> > WARNING: Calculated CRC checksum does not match value stored in file.
> > Either the file is corrupt, or it has a different layout than this program
> > is expecting.  The results below are untrustworthy.

[...]

> This is just an educated guess, but I'm going to bet on 32-bit vs 64-bit.
> Are you trying to copy the DB to a machine with different word size?
> Won't work.

Just in case, if anyone ever _really_ needs to run a legacy 32-bit DB on
a 64-bit system, they may find it good to know that it works no problem
at least in FreeBSD.  All what it takes is the 32-bit libraries (a stock
part of a 64-bit FreeBSD install) and probably compatibility libraries
(from a package) if the 32-bit Postgresql was built on an older system.
Of course, the old Postgresql binaries will have to be copied over and
used with the old database, but they can work all right in a 64-bit
system as soon as compatibility environment is provided using standard
system components.

My 2 cents worth.

Yar