Re: Writeable CTEs Desgin Doc on Wiki

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Writeable CTEs Desgin Doc on Wiki
Дата
Re: Writeable CTEs Desgin Doc on Wiki  (Hitoshi Harada <umi.tanuki@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 04:34:07PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> >> There has been previous talk of allowing WITH (COPY ...) and I am
> >> personally of the opinion that it would be nice to be able to do
> >> WITH (EXPLAIN ...).  DDL seems like a poor idea.
> >
> > It may be, but I can see use cases for partitioning...
>
> Like what?

Managing partitions, or creating partitions in some way the partition
syntax doesn't anticipate, whatever it turns out to be.

> >> P.S. Call me a prude, but your choice of shorthand for
> >> insert-update-delete may not be the best.
> >
> > Then I presume you'll be supporting my idea of using the word
> > "span" for temporal data types rather than the current idea whose
> > name appears in academic literature.
>
> Wise guy.

In all seriousness, the temporal stuff is giving us a fantastic
opportunity, as a project, to break our tradition of lousy naming.

"Span" is descriptive, mnemonic, and easy to spell.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Сообщение: Re: Return of the Solaris vacuum polling problem -- anyone remember this?
Сообщение: Re: Return of the Solaris vacuum polling problem -- anyone remember this?