Re: Git migration timeline

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: Git migration timeline
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [100816 09:58]:
> That's not really going to do, especially since it will also lock out
> "cvs log".  I certainly want to do a final update and cvs2cl after the
> last commits have happened, and I imagine other people will want that
> too.  If there were a way to make the repository read-only that would be
> nice, but I think what we're going to need to settle for is relying on
> the committers to not do any more commits after the specified time.
>
> I can see the point of wanting to be dead certain the repository isn't
> changing under you during the data migration.  Perhaps we need an agreed
> window between last call for commits and the actual lock-out.

What about 2 minutes long for the repository to be "synced" to wherever
he wants to do the conversion from.  There isn't any reason for the
repository to be locked while he does the conversion/checks, but he does
need a guaranteed consistent copy of the repository to work from.

I'ld suggest having the repository "locked" for long enough to:
1) Get a consistent rsync/snapshot/tarball of $CVSROOT
2) Send an email to committers saying CVS repository has been "taken",  don't commit/tag/branch on it anymore "please"

And then unlock it with the expectation that committers will continue in
their good stewardship of the CVS repository (in this case meaning not
make any changes to it anymore) as they are already doing.

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,