Re: patch: General purpose utility functions used by the JSON data type

От David Fetter
Тема Re: patch: General purpose utility functions used by the JSON data type
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:59:48PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Joseph Adams
> <joeyadams3.14159@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Indeed, a built-in JSON data type will certainly not need it.
> > However, users may want to return enums from procedures written in
> > C, and this function provides a way to do it.
>
> Yeah, but I can't see accepting it on speculation.  We'll add it if
> and when it's clear that it will be generally useful.

Please pardon me for jumping in here, but one of the things people
really love about PostgreSQL is that when you reach for something,
it's frequently "just there."

As we're improving enums (allowing them to be altered easily after
creation, etc.), it seems reasonable to provide ways to return them
from all kinds of PLs, including making this easier in C.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!