Re: MySQL versus Postgres

От Leif Biberg Kristensen
Тема Re: MySQL versus Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday 12. August 2010 08.29.13 Ma Sivakumar wrote:
> What does a migrating PHP/MySQL user do? If MySQL performs fast just
> out of box (I have not used MySQL), what is different there? Do MySQL
> defaults give better performance? How do they arrive at those
> defaults?
>
> Or is it a completely different system, which can not be adapted in
PostgreSQL?

For the vast majority of use cases, ie. with db size < 100 MB, PostgreSQL
performs well enough out of the box. I guess that the same goes for MySQL.

For the relatively few high-profile, high-performance installations some manual
tuning obviously is needed, and I guess that applies whatever the name of
system is. That is of course one of the major reasons why such installations
need qualified DBAs. But for the long-tail segment where most of us belong,
this isn't a problem.

regards,
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen