Re: SHOW TABLES

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: SHOW TABLES
Дата
Re: SHOW TABLES  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 15:38 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I assume SHOW TABLES would only be useful for interactive terminal
> > sesssions, not for application code (which should use
> > information_schema), so what non-psql interactive terminal programs
> > are there?
>
> My original thought was around the newbie experience: they connect to
> PostgreSQL and then.... nothing. No sensible commands work, typing
> "help" doesn't work, nor does typing "quit". Few simple commands they've

Well, "help" does work now, for some definition of work:
$ psql testhpsql (9.1devel)Type "help" for help.test=> helpYou are using psql, the command-line interface to
PostgreSQL.Type: \copyright for distribution terms       \h for help with SQL commands       \? for help with psql
commands      \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query       \q to quit

> learnt elsewhere work either.
>
> We need a way to respond sensibly to common user input.
>
> "Terminal program" is the bit of thinking that is askew there. The
> question is "what other non-psql interactive programs are there"?
> Lots.
>
> There are many tools that can access Postgres. Some are libpq programs,
> though there are command line versions in every environment: java,
> python, etc..

Yeah, but do enough people use them to warrant putting this in the
backend?

http://enterprisedb.com