Re: resource management, letting user A use no more than X resource (time, CPU, memory...)

От Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Тема Re: resource management, letting user A use no more than X resource (time, CPU, memory...)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 19:43:01 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> On 16/07/10 19:21, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> > If I'd like to learn how to manage resources in postgres and
> > grant different users different time slot/memory/CPU?
> >
> > eg. I'd like to grant to user A to execute queries that last less
> > than 1min or that occupy no more than X Mb... etc...
>
> PostgreSQL doesn't really offer much in the way of features for
> per-user resource control, resource impact isolation, etc.
>
> You can potentially run different PostgreSQL instances
> (postmasters, not just databases) in different domains of a
> virtualization or resource-control setup, but that's pretty
> inefficient, adds a lot of admin work, and doesn't help if your
> users need to be able to use the same database(s).

> If you need strong user resource limits, user storage limits, etc
> PostgreSQL might not be your best option. There are some things
> you can do, but there's not much.

What about an external process that monitor backend and kill them
gracefully if they suck too many resources accordingly to the user
linked to that backend?

Or... gluing together a load balancing solution that divert
accordingly to the user to different slaves accordingly that have
slightly different setup?

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it

Сообщение: Re: resource management, letting user A use no more than X resource (time, CPU, memory...)
Сообщение: Re: resource management, letting user A use no more than X resource (time, CPU, memory...)