Re: Question on COUNT performance

От Reinoud van Leeuwen
Тема Re: Question on COUNT performance
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 07:30:39AM -0600, Joshua Tolley wrote:

> > Have you tried 'select count (1)..."?
>
> If this helps at all, it's unlikely to help much. I remember having seen
> discussion somewhere that there's an optimization such that count(*) and
> count(1) do the same thing anyway, but I can't find it in the code
> immediately.

oops, I was thinking too much about Sybase (where is makes a huge
difference, since the optimiser sees that everything it needs can be found
in the index so the table does not have to be read at all).

Reinoud

"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen    reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net
http://reinoud.van.leeuwen.net kvk 27320762