Re: simple functions, huge overhead, no cache

От Josip Rodin
Тема Re: simple functions, huge overhead, no cache
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 07:46:30PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> 2010/7/12 Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net>:

> >> it is useles for functions - explain doesn't show lines of executed
> >> functions. Can you show some example of some more complex query.
> >
> > It doesn't have to show me any lines, but it could tell me which part of
> > the query is actually being optimized, and OTOH which part is simply being
> > executed N times unconditionally because it's a function that is marked as
> > volatile. That alone would be a reasonable improvement.
>
> this is different kinds of problems. You can have a very slow a
> immutable function or very fast volatile function. And with wrong
> function design your functions can be a 10 times slower. yeah - you
> can multiply it via wrong or good design with wrong or good stability
> flag.

Well, it was demonstrated previously that the domain of very fast volatile
plpgsql functions is inherently limited with their startup overhead, which
makes them inherently slow with small data sets (and/or nesting). Sure, this
can become relatively insignificant on very large data sets, but as long as
there is a reasonable chance that this slows down a query by an order of
magnitude, IMHO it would be better to note it than to ignore it.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.