Re: strangest thing happened

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: strangest thing happened
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 04:25:13PM -0500, Justin Graf wrote:
> Are you using PG's  sequence/auto increment???
>
> If so.
> Once PG fires off the nextval() for the sequence that number is
> considered used and gone even if the transaction that called nextval()
> is rolled back
>
> Depending on how the app is written nextval() might be called, but allow
> the User to cancel the invoice creation before the insert into table is
> completed eating up Invoice numbers
>
> To reset Sequences number call
> Select setval('Sequence_Name', VAlue_To_Set_To);
>
> Most people ignore this kind of annoyance when sequence numbers jump.
> Now if it happens all the time where every X hours eating up Z number of
> sequence numbers then one needs to dig into the logs and figure out what
> is calling nextval()
>
> Search the logs to see what is calling nextval('My_Sequence')
>
> You may need to turn up logging to find it.

Justin, you're missing that John reported that the sequences are
_behind_ the table. This only happens for me if I've been doing
bulk data loads. Then I use:

select setval(sequence_name,max(serial_id_column)) from table_with_serial_id;

You do need to trackdown how this might have happened, though. Any
clever code doing it's own 'serial' incrementing?

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166

> On 7/7/2010 2:59 PM, John wrote:
> > I am the only developer, DBA etc.. for a small project.  Today (yesterday was
> > everything was perfect) many of the sequence numbers fell behind what is the
> > actual PK value.   For example the invoice PK sequence current value = 1056
> > but the table PK was 1071.  Nobody (other than myself) knows how to
> > edit/access the postgres server.  So
> >
> > 1. Does anyone know how this could have happened?????? Other than human
> > interaction.
> >
> > 2. Does anyone have a script to reset the sequences to match the tables?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Johnf
> >

> All legitimate Magwerks Corporation quotations are sent in a .PDF file attachment with a unique ID number generated
byour proprietary quotation system. Quotations received via any other form of communication will not be honored.

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may contain legally privileged, confidential or other
informationproprietary to Magwerks Corporation and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
addresses.If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
thatany unauthorized viewing, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have
receivedthis e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and destroy all occurrences of this
e-mailimmediately.