Re: Partitioning syntax

От Takahiro Itagaki
Тема Re: Partitioning syntax
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> I've taken a little bit more of a look at this patch and I guess I'm
> not too happy with the design.

Thanks. I was thinking about only syntax for partitioning in the patch,
but I need more consideration about insert-aware catalog design.

> 5. The use of the term "partition" is not very consistent.  For
> example, we use CREATE PARTITION to create a partition, but we use
> DROP TABLE to get rid of it (there is no DROP PARTITION).  I think
> that the right syntax to use here is ALTER TABLE ... ADD/DROP
> PARTITION; both Oracle and MySQL do it that way. And meanwhile
> OCLASS_PARTITION means "the partitioning information associated with
> the parent table", not "a partition of a parent table".

"ALTER TABLE ... ADD/DROP PARTITION" was discussed many times,
but I cannot solve syntax confict with "ALTER TABLE ... ADD [COLUMN]".
Since we can omit COLUMN, parser treats "ADD PARTITION" as adding
a column named "PARTITION". We need to add PARTITION into the reserved
keyword list to avoid shift/reduce errors.

Do you have any better idea?

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki