Re: Write performance

От Janning
Тема Re: Write performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
thanks for your quick response, kenneth

On Thursday 24 June 2010 14:47:34 you wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 02:43:33PM +0200, Janning wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > at the moment we encounter some performance problems with our database
> > server.
> >
> > We have a 12 GB RAM machine with intel i7-975 and using
> > 3 disks "Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, ST31500341AS (1.5 GB)"
> > One disk for the system and WAL etc. and one SW RAID-0 with two disks for
> > postgresql data. Our database is about 24GB.
[...]
> Your I/O is extremely under-powered relative to your
> CPU/memory. For DB servers, many times you need much more I/O
> instead.

So at the moment we are using this machine as our primary database server:
http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/eq9/

Sadly, our hoster is not offering advanced disk setup. Now we have two options

1. buying a server on our own and renting a co-location.
I fear we do not know enough about hardware to vote for this option. I think
for co-locating your own server one should have more knowledge about hardware.

2. renting a server from a hoster with an advanced disk setup.
Can anybody recommend a good hosting solution in germany with a good disk
setup for postgresql?

kind regards
Janning