Re: system views for walsender activity

От Takahiro Itagaki
Тема Re: system views for walsender activity
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> I'm of the opinion that this is a 9.1 problem.  It needs more thought
> than we can put into it now --- one obvious question is what about
> monitoring on the slave side?  Another is who should be able to see the
> data?

Sure. We should research user's demands for monitoring and management
of replication. I'll report some voices from users as of this moment:

* Managers often ask DBAs "How long standby servers are behind the master?" We should provide such methods for DBAs. We
havepg_xlog_location() functions, but they should be improved for:   - The returned values are "xxx/yyy" texts, but
moreuseful information     is the difference of two values. Subtraction functions are required.   - For easier
management,the master server should provide not only     sent/flush locations but also received/replayed locations for
each    standby servers. Users don't want to access both master and slaves.

* Some developers want to pause and restart replication from the master server. They're going to use replication for
applicationversion managements. They'll pause all replications, and test their new features at the master, and restart
replicationto spread the changes to slaves.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center

Сообщение: Re: system views for walsender activity
Сообщение: Re: system views for walsender activity