Re: High Availability with Postgres

От David Fetter
Тема Re: High Availability with Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 07:34:10PM +0300, Elior Soliman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My company looking for some solution for High availability with Postgres.
>
> Our optional solution is as follows :
> Two DB servers will be using a common external storage (with raid).

Stop right there.  This is the Oracle way of doing things, and it
doesn't work for PostgreSQL.

> Both servers are going to use the same DB files on the storage (as
> active/passive)
>
> Now I'm trying to understand how Postgres can work with this
> configuration.  I.e :

It does not.

There are plenty of ways to get that broad spectrum of sometimes
contradictory things people mean when they use the phrase "HA" with
PostgreSQL, but you must first define your requirements.  Once you
have done so, it will be possible to create strategies for achieving
same.

What are the actual requirements?  Things that would be nice to have?
What are your priorities for both?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!