Re: A thought about other open source projects

От Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Тема Re: A thought about other open source projects
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:52:22 +0200
Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:

> David Goodenough wrote on 20.06.2010 11:08:
> > I don't support anyone has written a "how to write database
> > agnostic code" guide?  That way its not a matter of porting,
> > more a matter of starting off right.
>
> I don't believe in "database agnostic code".

It depends on what you're after.

There are applications that really use a DB as a SQL interface to
the file system (sort of).
Coding non standard SQL for such kind of application (and there are
many out there) is just a different practice of BDSM.

Still even when you deal with application that can really take
advantage of the various special feature of some DB and their SQL
dialect... 80% of the written SQL could be standard.

Sometimes people write abstraction code to make it easier to write
in the only SQL dialect they know for a very small coding advantage
while they could write a better one that at least wouldn't make a
pain to post the application.

When thinking about portable code I generally find this documents
useful:
http://sql-info.de/postgresql/postgres-gotchas.html

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo