Re: Re: Error on Windows server could not open relation base/xxx/xxx Permission denied

От John T. Dow
Тема Re: Re: Error on Windows server could not open relation base/xxx/xxx Permission denied
Дата
Re: Re: Error on Windows server could not openrelation base/xxx/xxx Permission denied  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
I have information

We had noticed two relations, their numbers being 16384/16642 and 16384/16792.

Here is what pg_class has for them.

"relname";"relnamespace";"reltype";"relowner";"relam";"relfilenode";"reltablespace";"relpages";"reltuples";"reltoastrelid";"reltoastidxid";"relhasindex";"relisshared";"relistemp";"relkind";"relnatts";"relchecks";"relhasoids";"relhaspkey";"relhasrules";"relhastriggers";"relhassubclass";"relfrozenxid";"relacl";"reloptions"

"pg_toast_16638";99;16643;16510;0;16642;0;0;0;0;16644;t;f;f;"t";3;0;f;t;f;f;f;1581;"";""

"pg_toast_16788";99;16793;16510;0;16792;0;0;0;0;16794;t;f;f;"t";3;0;f;t;f;f;f;2202;"";""

We also looked at the permissions and whether the files actually exist.

Findings: The files are both marked "system file" and have size 0 K. When logging on as an administrator and opening
thefiles (eg with notepad, just to see if there is nothing at all) they appear to be empty.

However, while we were working on the problem, pgadmin3 started reporting "permission denied" for 2611. At the same
time,pgadmin was unable to see the columns of the tables. Attempting to do so is what caused the error for 2611.

2611 also appeared to be a system file with 0 bytes.

Meantime, pgadmin was able to create a table and see the columns on the standard postgres database.

Also, the Java application was able to see the columns and list them out as well.

I have noticed that postgres is very unhappy if the proper "postgres" user doesn't have access to the files. But I have
alsonoticed that other users seem to be able to have access without causing problems. I realize this compromises
security,but in a development environment it is very convenient, eg when doing a system backup.

Is it possible that some type of user might be causing files to be created as or changed to system files, marked read
only,and apparently empty?

I am not certain which users have access to the files at the client's site, but I know it's more than just the postgres
user.

All of these findings were on the second computer running XP. We ran out of time today before we investigated the
originalserver to see if it also had system files marked read only with no apparent contents.

John