== PostgreSQL Weekly News - May 31 2010 ==

От David Fetter
Тема == PostgreSQL Weekly News - May 31 2010 ==
Дата
Список pgsql-announce
== PostgreSQL Weekly News - May 31 2010 ==

PostgreSQL EU Board election results are in.
http://blog.hagander.net/archives/169-PostgreSQL-Europe-election-results.html

== PostgreSQL Jobs for May ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2010-05/threads.php

== PostgreSQL Local ==

Registration for Open Source Bridge is open and talks are announced!
June 1-4, 2010 in Portland, Oregon.
http://opensourcebridge.org/events/2010/proposals/

Michael Renner will be speaking at AMOOCON, which goes from June 4-6, 2010.
http://www.amoocon.de/speakers/214

SouthEast LinuxFest 2010 will take place in Spartanburg, SC USA on
June 11-13.  PostgreSQL gurus Joshua Drake and Andrew Dunstan will be
giving some must-see PostgreSQL-related presentations.
http://southeastlinuxfest.org/

Michael Renner will be speaking at Netways OSDC in Nuremberg, Germany,
which will be June 23-24, 2010.
http://www.netways.de/osdc/y2010/programm/

CHAR(10), the PostgreSQL Conference on Clustering, High Availability
and Replication is now open for online registration and bookings.
July 2-3 2010, Oriel College, Oxford University, UK
http://www.char10.org/

PDXPUG Day will be July 18, 2010 at the Oregon Convention Center in
Portland, OR.  For more information, see:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PDXPUGDay2010

OSCON will take place in Portland, Oregon July 19-23, 2010.
http://www.oscon.com/oscon2010

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david@fetter.org, German language
to pwn@pgug.de, Italian language to pwn@itpug.org.  Spanish language
to pwn@arpug.com.ar.

== Applied Patches ==

Bruce Momjian committed:

- In pgsql/contrib/pg_upgrade/option.c, split apart pg_upgrade user
  lookup and root check so '--help' shows proper default username.

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/pgupgrade.sgml, update pg_upgrade docs to show
  options in alphabetical order, and improve 8.3 doc limitations
  paragraph.

- In pgsql/contrib/pg_upgrade/info.c, in pg_upgrade, test for
  datallowconn instead of hardcoding template0.

- In pgsql/contrib/pg_upgrade/option.c, re-order pg_upgrade 'help'
  options to be alphabetical.

- In pgsql/contrib/pg_upgrade/IMPLEMENTATION.jp, add Japanese
  Implementation file to CVS.

- In /doc/src/sgml/pgupgrade.sgml, add pg_upgrade docs about binary
  compatibility, per Robert Haas.

- Modify pg_standby, pgbench, and pg_upgrade manual pages to be
  consistent in their display of command-line options with other
  client applications.

- In pgsql/contrib/pg_upgrade/IMPLEMENTATION, update pg_upgrade
  IMPLEMENTATION doc file to match current 9.0 behavior.

- Remove IMPLEMENTATION.jp file from pg_upgrade docs;  still in
  pgFoundry for pg_migrator, per suggestion from Magnus Hagander.

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/maintenance.sgml, document pgFouine and
  check_postgres as log analysis options.

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/maintenance.sgml, fix SGML markup.

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml, document use of VPATH
  builds.  David Fetter.

- In pgsql/src/backend/executor/execUtils.c, add C comment that we
  will have to remove an exclusion constraint check if we ever
  implement '<>' index opclasses.  Jeff Davis.

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/ref/create_domain.sgml, document that NOT NULL
  domain constraints are not always honored.

- Clarify the meaning of "trusted language" in the documentation.

Michael Meskes committed:

- Added a configure test for "long long" datatypes. So far this is
  only used in ecpg and replaces the old test that was kind of
  hackish.

- Replace self written 'long long int' configure test by standard
  'AC_TYPE_LONG_LONG_INT' macro call.

Tom Lane committed:

- In pgsql/src/backend/optimizer/plan/createplan.c, fix oversight in
  construction of sort/unique plans for UniquePaths.  If the original
  IN operator is cross-type, for example int8 = int4, we need to use
  int4 < int4 to sort the inner data and int4 = int4 to unique-ify it.
  We got the first part of that right, but tried to use the original
  IN operator for the equality checks.  Per bug #5472 from Vlad
  Romascanu.  Backpatch to 8.4, where the bug was introduced by the
  patch that unified SortClause and GroupClause.  I was able to take
  out a whole lot of on-the-fly calls of get_equality_op_for_ordering_op(),
  but failed to realize that I needed to put one back in right here :-(

- In pgsql/src/interfaces/libpq/fe-secure.c, add missing newlines to
  some SSL-related error messages.  Noted while testing.

- In pgsql/src/backend/libpq/be-secure.c, tell openssl to include the
  names of the root certs the server trusts in requests for client
  certs.  This lets a client with a keystore select the appropriate
  client certificate to send.  In particular, this is necessary to get
  Java clients to work in all but the most trivial configurations.
  Per discussion of bug #5468.  Craig Ringer

- In pgsql/src/backend/libpq/be-secure.c, minor editorialization for
  be-secure.c: fix comments and some formatting infelicities.

- In pgsql/src/backend/libpq/hba.c, the message style police pay a
  visit to hba.c.

- In pgsql/src/backend/libpq/auth.c, fix bogus error message for
  SSL-cert authentication, due to lack of a uaCert entry in
  auth_failed().  Put the switch entries into a sane order, namely the
  one the enum is declared in.

- Rearrange libpq's SSL initialization to simplify it and make it
  handle some additional cases correctly.  The original coding failed
  to load additional (chain) certificates from the client cert file,
  meaning that indirectly signed client certificates didn't work
  unless one hacked the server's root.crt file to include intermediate
  CAs (not the desired approach).  Another problem was that everything
  got loaded into the shared SSL_context object, which meant that
  concurrent connections trying to use different sslcert settings
  could well fail due to conflicting over the single available slot
  for a keyed certificate.  To fix, get rid of the use of
  SSL_CTX_set_client_cert_cb(), which is deprecated anyway in the
  OpenSSL documentation, and instead just unconditionally load the
  client cert and private key during connection initialization.  This
  lets us use SSL_CTX_use_certificate_chain_file(), which does the
  right thing with additional certs, and is lots simpler than the
  previous hacking about with BIO-level access.  A small disadvantage
  is that we have to load the primary client cert a second time with
  SSL_use_certificate_file, so that that one ends up in the correct
  slot within the connection's SSL object where it can get paired with
  the key.  Given the other overhead of making an SSL connection, that
  doesn't seem worth worrying about.  Per discussion ensuing from bug
  #5468.

- Improve SSL-related documentation.  Explain how to deal with
  certificate chains, do assorted wordsmithing.

- In pgsql/src/backend/commands/indexcmds.c, make CREATE INDEX run
  expression preprocessing on a proposed index expression before it
  checks whether the expression is immutable.  This covers two cases
  that were previously handled poorly: 1. SQL function inlining could
  reduce the apparent volatility of the expression, allowing an
  expression to be accepted where it previously would not have been.
  As an example, polymorphic functions must be marked with the
  worst-case volatility they have for any argument type, but for
  specific argument types they might not be so volatile, so indexing
  could be allowed.  (Since the planner will refuse to inline
  functions in cases where the apparent volatility of the expression
  would increase, this won't break any cases that were accepted
  before.) 2. A nominally immutable function could have default
  arguments that are volatile expressions.  In such a case insertion
  of the defaults will increase both the apparent and actual
  volatility of the expression, so it is *necessary* to check this
  before allowing the expression to be indexed.  Back-patch to 8.4,
  where default arguments were introduced.

- In pgsql/src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h, fix the volatility marking
  of textanycat() and anytextcat(): they were marked immutable, but
  that is wrong in general because the cast from the polymorphic
  argument to text could be stable or even volatile.  Mark them
  volatile for safety.  In the typical case where the cast isn't
  volatile, the planner will deduce the correct expression volatility
  after inlining the function, so performance is not lost.  The
  just-committed fix in CREATE INDEX also ensures this won't break any
  indexing cases that ought to be allowed.  Per discussion, I'm not
  bumping catversion for this change, as it doesn't seem critical
  enough to force an initdb on beta testers.

- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/misc/ps_status.c, change ps_status.c to
  explicitly track the current logical length of ps_buffer.  This
  saves cycles in get_ps_display() on many popular platforms, and more
  importantly ensures that get_ps_display() will correctly return an
  empty string if init_ps_display() hasn't been called yet.  Per
  trouble report from Ray Stell, in which log_line_prefix %i produced
  junk early in backend startup.  Back-patch to 8.0.  7.4 doesn't have
  %i and its version of get_ps_display() makes no pretense of avoiding
  pad junk anyhow.

- In pgsql/src/backend/executor/nodeMergejoin.c, rejigger mergejoin
  logic so that a tuple with a null in the first merge column is
  treated like end-of-input, if nulls sort last in that column and we
  are not doing outer-join filling for that input.  In such a case,
  the tuple cannot join to anything from the other input (because we
  assume mergejoinable operators are strict), and neither can any
  tuple following it in the sort order.  If we're not interested in
  doing outer-join filling we can just pretend the tuple and its
  successors aren't there at all.  This can save a great deal of time
  in situations where there are many nulls in the join column, as in a
  recent example from Scott Marlowe.  Also, since the planner tends to
  not count nulls in its mergejoin scan selectivity estimates, this is
  an important fix to make the runtime behavior more like the
  estimate.  I regard this as an omission in the patch I wrote years
  ago to teach mergejoin that tuples containing nulls aren't joinable,
  so I'm back-patching it.  But only to 8.3 --- in older versions, we
  didn't have a solid notion of whether nulls sort high or low, so
  attempting to apply this optimization could break things.

- Rewrite LIKE's %-followed-by-_ optimization so it really works (this
  time for sure ;-)).  It now also optimizes more cases, such as %_%_.
  Improve comments too.  Per bug #5478.  In passing, also rename the
  TCHAR macro to GETCHAR, because pgindent is messing with the
  formatting of the former (apparently it now thinks TCHAR is a
  typedef name).  Back-patch to 8.3, where the bug was introduced.

- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/adt/like_match.c, fix oversight in the
  previous patch that made LIKE throw error for \ at the end of the
  pattern: the code path that handles \ just after % should throw
  error too.  As in the previous patch, not back-patching for fear of
  breaking apps that worked before.

- In pgsql/src/bin/psql/common.c, abort a FETCH_COUNT-controlled query
  if we observe any I/O error on the output stream.  This typically
  indicates that the user quit out of $PAGER, or that we are writing
  to a file and ran out of disk space.  In either case we shouldn't
  bother to continue fetching data.  Stephen Frost.

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/perform.sgml, add text to "Populating a
  Database" pointing out that bulk data load into a table with foreign
  key constraints eats memory.  Per off-line discussion of bug #5480
  with its reporter.  Also do some minor wordsmithing elsewhere in the
  same section.

- Change the notation for calling functions with named parameters from
  "val AS name" to "name := val", as per recent discussion.  This
  patch catches everything in the original named-parameters patch, but
  I'm not certain that no other dependencies snuck in later (grepping
  the source tree for all uses of AS soon proved unworkable).  In
  passing I note that we've dropped the ball at least once on keeping
  ecpg's lexer (as opposed to parser) in sync with the backend.  It
  would be a good idea to go through all of pgc.l and see if it's in
  sync now.  I didn't attempt that at the moment.

- In pgsql/src/backend/tsearch/ts_typanalyze.c, fix misuse of Lossy
  Counting (LC) algorithm in compute_tsvector_stats().  We must filter
  out hashtable entries with frequencies less than those specified by
  the algorithm, else we risk emitting junk entries whose actual
  frequency is much less than other lexemes that did not get
  tabulated.  This is bad enough by itself, but even worse is that
  tsquerysel() believes that the minimum frequency seen in
  pg_statistic is a hard upper bound for lexemes not included, and was
  thus underestimating the frequency of non-MCEs.  Also, set the
  threshold frequency to something with a little bit of theory behind
  it, to wit assume that the input distribution is approximately
  Zipfian.  This might need adjustment in future, but some preliminary
  experiments suggest that it's not too unreasonable.  Back-patch to
  8.4, where this code was introduced.  Jan Urbanski, with some
  editorialization by Tom Lane.

Robert Haas committed:

- In pgsql/src/backend/postmaster/postmaster.c, more fixes for
  shutdown during recovery.  1. If we receive a fast shutdown request
  while in the PM_STARTUP state, process it just as we would in
  PM_RECOVERY, PM_HOT_STANDBY, or PM_RUN.  Without this change, an
  early fast shutdown followed by Hot Standby causes the database to
  get stuck in a state where a shutdown is pending (so no new
  connections are allowed) but the shutdown request is never processed
  unless we end Hot Standby and enter normal running.  2. Avoid
  removing the backup label file when a smart or fast shutdown occurs
  during recovery.  It makes sense to do this once we've reached
  normal running, since we must be taking a backup which now won't be
  valid.  But during recovery we must be recovering from a previously
  taken backup, and any backup label file is needed to restart
  recovery from the right place.  Fujii Masao and Robert Haas

- In pgsql/src/bin/psql/help.c, fix psql help: \da+ is same as \da,
  but \daS is not.  Noted by Stephen Frost.

- In pgsql/src/backend/postmaster/postmaster.c, avoid starting
  walreceiver in states where it shouldn't be running.  In particular,
  it's bad to start walreceiver when in state PM_WAIT_BACKENDS,
  because we have no provision to kill walreceiver when in that state.
  Fujii Masao.

Simon Riggs committed:

- Hot Standby Defer buffer pin deadlock check until deadlock_timeout
  has expired.  During Hot Standby we need to check for buffer pin
  deadlocks when the Startup process begins to wait, in case it never
  wakes up again.  We previously made the deadlock check immediately
  on the basis it was cheap, though clearer thinking and prima facie
  evidence shows that was too simple.  Refactor existing code to make
  it easy to add in deferral of deadlock check until deadlock_timeout
  allowing a good reduction in deadlock checks since far few buffer
  pins are held for that duration.  It's worth doing anyway, though
  major goal is to prevent further reports of context switching with
  high numbers of users on occasional tests.

Heikki Linnakangas committed:

- In pgsql/src/backend/replication/walsender.c, in walsender, don't
  sleep if there's outstanding WAL waiting to be sent, otherwise we
  effectively rate-limit the streaming as pointed out by Simon Riggs.
  Also, send the WAL in smaller chunks, to respond to signals more
  promptly.

- In pgsql/src/backend/replication/walsender.c, thinko in previous
  commit: ensure that MAX_SEND_SIZE is always greater than
  XLOG_BLCKSZ, by defining it as 16 * XLOG_BLCKSZ rather than directly
  as 128k bytes.

- In pgsql/src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c, adjust comment to
  reflect that we now have Hot Standby.  Pointed out by Robert Haas.

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/ref/savepoint.sgml, make it more clear that
  you need to release savepoint with RELEASE SAVEPOINT to make an
  older savepoint with the same name accessible.  It's also possible
  to implicitly release the savepoint by rolling back to an earlier
  savepoint, but mentioning that too would make the note just more
  verbose and confusing.  Florian Pflug.

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/high-availability.sgml, update High
  Availability docs.  Clarify terms master/primary standby/slave,
  move two paragraphs that apply to log shipping in general from the
  "Alternative method for log shipping" section to the earlier
  sections.  Add varname tags where missing. Some small wording
  changes.

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/high-availability.sgml, fix typos in recent
  doc patch.  Fujii Masao.

ITAGAKI Takahiro committed:

- Mark PG_MODULE_MAGIC and PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1 with PGDLLEXPORT
  independently from BUILDING_DLL. It is always __declspec(dllexport).

- In pgsql/src/include/port/cygwin.h and pgsql/src/include/port/win32.h
  PGDLLEXPORT is __declspec (dllexport) only on MSVC, but is
  __declspec (dllimport) on other compilers because cygwin and mingw
  don't like dllexport.

Peter Eisentraut committed:

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/syntax.sgml, small correction/clarification in
  discussion of Unicode literals.

== Rejected Patches (for now) ==

Stephen Frost's in a patch to move a "long long" check to c.h.  The
actual problem, if it needs fixing, needs to be fixed in autoconf.

== Pending Patches ==

KaiGai Kohei sent in six revisions of a patch to rework Robert Haas's
patch to add an ExecutorCheckPerms() hook.

Fujii Masao sent in two more revisions of the patch to fix smart
shutdown during recovery.

Craig Ringer sent in two revisions of a patch to fix an issue with SSL
certificates.

Simon Riggs sent in a patch to fix the sporadically reduced speed and
context switch storm issues in Hot Standby.

Mike Fowler sent in three revisions of a patch to add XMLEXISTS from
the SQL/XML section of the SQL standard.

Jonathan Leto and Josh Tolley traded patches to document the PL
template handler better.

Stephen Frost sent in a patch to do regression tests on psql's
backslash commands.

ITAGAKI Takahiro sent in a patch to fix an issue where fillfactor in
TOAST tables is set to 0, which is not always right.

Robert Haas sent in a patch to add a get_whatever_oid() function.
This factors out much code duplication.

Simon Riggs sent in another revision of the patch to fix keepalive
issues in max_standby_delay.

Peter Eisentraut sent in a patch for 9.1 that adds functions
pg_stat_get_backend_client_addr and pg_stat_get_backend_client_port.

В списке pgsql-announce по дате отправления: