Re: Specification for Trusted PLs?

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Specification for Trusted PLs?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 09:51:30PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

> >> Succinctly: A trusted language does not grant access to data that
> >> the user would otherwise not have.
> >
> > That's a great definition from a point of view of understanding by
> > human beings.  A whitelist system will work better from the point
> > of automating tests which, while they couldn't conclusively prove
> > that something was actually this way, could go a long way toward
> > making sure that PLs didn't regress into untrusted territory.
>
> You haven't presented any sort of plan for how such automated
> testing would actually work.  Perhaps if you presented the plan
> first we could think about how to provide for its needs.  I'm
> generally of the opinion that it's not possible to do automated
> testing for security vulnerabilities (beyond crash testing, perhaps)
> but if you have a good idea let's talk about it.

I don't know about a *good* idea, but here's the one I've got.

1.  Make a whitelist.  This is what needs to work in order for a
language to be a fully functional trusted PL.

2.  Write tests that check that each thing on the whitelist works as
advertised.  These are language specific.

3.  (the un-fun part) Write tests which attempt to do things not in
the whitelist.  We can start from the vulnerabilities so far
discovered.

4.  Each time a vulnerability is discovered in one language, write
something that tests for it in the other languages.

I get that this isn't going to ensure that the access control is
perfect.  It's more a backstop against regressions of previously
function access controls.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!