Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Comments?
>
> There's currently three ways to set max_standby_delay:
>
> max_standby_delay = -1    # Query wins
> max_standby_delay = 0    # Recovery wins
> max_standby_delay > X    # Query wins until lag > X.
>
> As Tom points out, the 3rd option has all sorts of problems. I very much
> like the behavior that max_standby_delay tries to accomplish, but I have
> to agree that it's not very reliable as it is. I don't like Tom's
> proposal either; the standby can fall behind indefinitely, and queries
> get a varying grace period.
>
> Let's rip out the concept of a delay altogether, and make it a boolean.
> If you really want your query to finish, set it to -1 (using the current
> max_standby_delay nomenclature). If recovery is important to you, set it
> to 0.
>
> If you have the monitoring in place to sensibly monitor the delay
> between primary and standby, and you want a limit on that, you can put
> together a script to flip the switch in postgresql.conf if the standby
> falls too much behind.
>
> It would be nice to make that settable per-session, BTW. Though as soon
> as you have one session using -1, the standby could fall behind. Still,
> it might be useful if you run both kinds of queries on the same standby.

+1 for a boolean

We are not supposed to be designing the behavior during beta, which is
exactly what we are doing, and I don't think we even know what behavior
we want, let alone have we implemented it.  I think a boolean is very
clear and it gives you the chance to optimize _one_ case, which is
enough for 9.0.  Let's revisit this for 9.1 when we will know a lot more
than we do now.

Once 9.1 reports slave snapshots back to the master, we might not need
anything more than a boolean here anyway.

http://enterprisedb.com