Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > For example, I assume there
> > will be some major version of Postgres where pg_migrator will not work
> > at all.
> >

> We need to be thinking more now about such a contingency. Postgres use
> in very large installations is now at such a level that requiring a
> pg_dump/pg_restore is really not an option for many users. If
> pg_migrator is not always going to work then we need to be addressing
> that now, or else it is at best a stop-gap. ISTM some sort of page
> layout versioning scheme might be at least part of what we'll need in
> the medium term.

Yes, my bet is that when we do need to change the page format, we will
either use a conversion-on-read process or some external tool to do the
conversion.  pg_migrator does have code to do page conversions but it
has never been used.  If you are using pg_migrator in copy mode, we
might be able to do page conversion during the copy, but for link mode,
that is not possible.

http://enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta
Сообщение: Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta