Re: Autovaccum with cost_delay does not complete on one solaris 5.10 machine

От: Alvaro Herrera
Тема: Re: Autovaccum with cost_delay does not complete on one solaris 5.10 machine
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Autovaccum with cost_delay does not complete on one solaris 5.10 machine  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: Autovaccum with cost_delay does not complete on one solaris 5.10 machine  (Alvaro Herrera, )
  Re: Autovaccum with cost_delay does not complete on one solaris 5.10 machine  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Autovaccum with cost_delay does not complete on one solaris 5.10 machine  (Alvaro Herrera, )
    Re: Autovaccum with cost_delay does not complete on one solaris 5.10 machine  (Josh Berkus, )

Josh Berkus wrote:

> Basically, vacuuming of a table which normally takes about 20 minutes
> interactively with vacuum_cost_delay set to 20 had not completed after
> 14 hours.  When I trussed it, I saw activity which indicated to me that
> autovacuum was doing a pollsys, presumably for cost_limit, every data page.
>
> Autovacuum was running with vacuum_cost_limit = 200 and
> autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 20, which I believe is the default for 8.3.
>
> Truss output:
>
> pollsys(0xFFFFFD7FFFDF83E0, 0, 0xFFFFFD7FFFDF8470, 0x00000000) = 0

So what is it polling?  Please try "truss -v pollsys"; is there a way in
Solaris to report what each file descriptor is pointing to?  (In linux
I'd look at /proc/<pid>/fd)

We don't call pollsys anywhere.  Something in Solaris must be doing it
under the hood.