Re: Two Versions of PostgreSQL Installed - How to uninstall one particular version

От A. Kretschmer
Тема Re: Two Versions of PostgreSQL Installed - How to uninstall one particular version
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Hi,
>
> I got this error:
> "-bash-2.05b$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start
> server starting
> -bash-2.05b$ FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
> DETAIL:  The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.3, which is not compatible with this version
8.3.8."

> I think I must have two versions of Postgres installed.  How do I
> uninstall the 7.3 version?  Do I need to do a manual uninstall by
> removing Postgres related files from /usr/bin and etc?  Or is there an
> automatic way?  The problem is that I'm unclear what files need to be
> removed.  I think might also need to delete a file in the /etc/init.d
> directory.

I think, you have a problem ;-)

You have a data directory initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.3. Because
of this, you need a running 7.3-Server to acces to this data. But you
have installed 8.3.8.

You should now install a 7.3 - Server tu access to the data. Make a
Backup of the data-directory before!

If the 7.3 - Server is running, you can make a Backup. You should make
this Backup with the 8.3-Server (yes, you can have multiple versions
installed on the same computer and the same time)

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
GnuPG: 0x31720C99, 1006 CCB4 A326 1D42 6431  2EB0 389D 1DC2 3172 0C99