Re: Subqueries or Joins? Problems with multiple table query

От A. Kretschmer
Тема Re: Subqueries or Joins? Problems with multiple table query
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> >> How many rows in each of your tables, and what indexes do you have?
> >
> > around 5000 rows
> >

> It takes a long time for just 5000 rows?  Could you provide the
> execution plan for it by putting EXPLAIN ANALYZE at the front of your
> query and post the result here?

I think, this query:

SELECT countries.name, (SELECT yearAS basel FROM basel WHERE value = 1
AND countries.id = basel.id_country) AS basel, (SELECT yearAS cites FROM
cites WHERE value = 1 AND countries.id = cites.id_country) AS cites FROM
countries, basel, cites

(copy & paste from his post) will produce a cross-join:

test=*# select count(1) from (select c.name, (select name from con_1 where id=c.id), (select name from con_2 where
id=c.id),(select name from con_3 where id=c.id) from con c) foo;
 count
-------
     3
(1 row)

test=*# select count(1) from (select c.name, (select name from con_1 where id=c.id), (select name from con_2 where
id=c.id),(select name from con_3 where id=c.id) from con c, con_1, con_2, con_3) foo;
 count
-------
    54
(1 row)

(the first query is similar to his query but without all tables in the enclosing from-list,
the second query is very similar to his query)

So i'm not astonished about a long time for only 5000 rows...

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
GnuPG: 0x31720C99, 1006 CCB4 A326 1D42 6431  2EB0 389D 1DC2 3172 0C99