Re: pg_dump superflous warning message

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: pg_dump superflous warning message
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:
> >
> > If I do:
> > pg_dump -a --disable-triggers
> >
> > I get a warning message:
> > pg_dump: NOTICE: there are circular foreign-key constraints among these table(s):
> > pg_dump:   directory
> > pg_dump: You may not be able to restore the dump without using --disable-triggers or temporarily dropping the
constraints.
> > pg_dump: Consider using a full dump instead of a --data-only dump to avoid this problem.
> >
> > Of course, this was confusing as hell -- we spent a good bit of time
> > trying to figure out why pg_dump wasn't honoring --disable-triggers.
> >
> > It turns out that it is, it's just that it prints the warning even
> > when it's not applicable.
>
> But it's not a warning, it's a NOTICE.

Point taken.  However, it's still a message that pops up and confuses
the user by making him think he did something wrong.

Based on Tom's response, it's probably not worth changing, but it would
be nice if there was a reasonable way to detect when it was necessary
and when it wasn't.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com