Re: Novice PL/pgSQL question and example

От James Long
Тема Re: Novice PL/pgSQL question and example
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
An interesting approach, one of which I wouldn't have conceived.
I am trying to understand how it works.  You calculate a first
approximation based on discarding the fractional penny, and
then adjust that by adding on a whole penny in some cases, so
that the sum of the shares matches the original amount that
was divided.

Actually, on my 8.3.9, it doesn't work:

pnwc=> SELECT G.A, TRUNC(90.0 / 7, 2) +
pnwc->              CASE
pnwc->                WHEN ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY G.A) <= 100 * (90 - 7 * TRUNC(90.0 / 7, 2)) THEN
pnwc->                  0.01
pnwc->                ELSE
pnwc->                  0.00
pnwc->                END
pnwc->    FROM generate_series(1, 7) AS G(A);
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "OVER"
LINE 3:                WHEN ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY G.A) <= 100 ...
                                         ^

What version are you running, or what am I doing wrong that
prevents me from reproducing your results?

Thanks!

Jim