Re: development setup and libdir

От Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Тема Re: development setup and libdir
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:06:02 -0500
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@webthatworks.it> writes:
> > ... I can't make install (provided it works as expected, I
> > didn't try yet) since I sincerely hope that my user doesn't have
> > write right on whatever is pointed by $libdir.
>
> Why not?  In order to install a C function, you have to be
> superuser, which means you already have the keys to the kingdom
> database-wise. There is no reason to not give a developer of C
> functions write access on $libdir.  He could do whatever he wanted
> inside the C code anyway.

It's not just about security, it's about maintenance.

Anyway I may have more than one instance of pg running but all will
point to the same lib directory and anyway if I'm going to use
distribution package I don't want things that mix (and may be
overwritten).
Still I should give write access to myself as a "developer" to a
system directory I really shouldn't have access too (and on Debian it
should be root:root if I'm remembering right).

Anyway I'm just getting acquainted with pg build system and today I
just learnt a lot on #postgresql.

Again... as soon as I'll have something working, I'll post what I've
learnt from the experience somewhere.

thanks

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo